PAGES

SLIDER

Climbing Mt. Charleston

Friday, August 12, 2011


Music starts blasting at 3:45 a.m. because I was going to take a shower BEFORE the hike....I got up and then said No WAY, 15 more minutes. I woke up like 10 minutes later because I realized I would be way busy trying to get everything together. I got dressed, Blaine packed my camelback thing, got me water, made me breakfast. I ate and got all my gear together, Ciara Jackason, Miranda Hone and Sister Stephanie Heaton came over and after not being able to find my keys or cell phone, we made our way out!

We met at the Stake Center to get some breakfast treats, last minute info and headed to the mountain. We arrived at the mountain and took a huge group picture that I still need to get my hands on.

Off we were and started the hike. Miranda was at the top of the gang doing her own thing and so the rest of us were kind of in the middle of the pack. We were told that the 2 first miles were the hardest and YEP that is true! You get most of your elevation in those 2 miles. I thought I was going to puke! Did I eat too much breakfast? Was I not fit enough? My legs not strong enough? I had a hard time in the beginning and it was so cute because Ciara was way fast but always came back down to catch up to me (or make it seem like I caught up to her? who knows haha) but she did that like 3 times and it was so sweet of her to think of me and make sure I was doing alright. By like mile 3 I had her go to the very top of the gang because I wanted to make sure that she made it to the top and the little speed demon she is, she was basically the first to the peak!

By like mile 4 I got into the swing of things, was able to breathe and it was really fun going through the hike. I was just with Stephanie the whole time and we chatted all the way up! It was so fun to talk for hours and get to know each other. I LOVE HER! I feel so close to her now and hope that we can keep building friendships like this in our ward and in YW. We would stop every now and then for water breaks, snacks, seeing if our feet were doing ok but we just kept on happily going through the miles. 9 miles up and 9 miles down. There was snow on the ground every now and then but mostly it was beautifully sunny and not too hot.

We are about a mile away from the peak and guess what....it's covered in snow and can't reach it safely! Ciara and Miranda were able to track their way through snow and everything that was there but after that, President Moody advised everyone to not go past a certain area just to be on the safe side. Stephanie and I stopped to take pictures by a little waterfall and then turned around to go to a meadow and have lunch and a nice break.

We headed back down the mountain, did some more chatting and we wanted to get off the mountain so bad that we started to basically jog. It was great until it wasn't and then it was a bad idea! I think I hurt my knee and got an actual injury because the last three miles I had to go extremely slow until I figured out that if I go sideways down the mountain it wouldn't be so hard on my knee. The end seemed to take FOREVER! I made it though and I was in the middle of the group because there were still more people that were behind me. In the end, I was so happy I made it and everyone cheered as people kept crossing that finish line. I have done this hike before and signed the book on top of the peak but last time I did this in two days, sleeping overnight...not one! whew!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger